The International Festival of Fashion and Photography at Hyères has become a pretty major event on the fashion calendar offering exhibitions, fashion shows, music and workshops. It also gives the opportunity to 10 young designers and 10 photographers a chance to win some pretty life changing prizes.
- The festival was started in 1987 by Jean-Pierre Blanc and is now in its 29th year
- Hyères where the festival is held is the oldest resort on the French Riviera and is in the department of Var in the PACA (Provence, Alps and Côte d’Azur) region
- The Festival is held at Villa Noailles, which is an early modernist villa designed by architect Robert Mallet-Stevens in the 1920’s. It is also know for its triangular cubist garden designed by Gabriel Guevrekian
- Felipe Oliveira Baptista the now creative manager at Lacoste and member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture won the competition over 10 years ago and credited it for launching his career
- The jury this year includes Carol Lim & Humberto Leon of Opening Ceremony and current creative directors at Kenzo, film director Spike Jonze and actress Chloe Sevigny
- You can attend the festival by applying for a professional or press pass. It’s also possible to apply for public tickets to the fashion shows which go online for just one week, each day has a specific time frame for each fashion show, as the tickets are free they’re literally snapped up in seconds.
- The general public are invited to vote after the fashion shows of the designers for the audience award
- The design contestants have the opportunity to win prizes of grants of up to 15,000€, collaborative projects with Chanel’s Métiers d’art and an invite by Mercedes-Benz to showcase their collection at Berlin Fashion Week to name but a few of the prizes.
- Chanel, LVMH and Cholé are some of the festivals biggest sponsors
- All exhibitions which this year includes an exhibition by Kenzo are free and open until the end of May (except Mondays and Tuesdays after May 2nd) so if you’re visiting the South of France and are a fashion and arts lover put this on your ‘must-do’ list.
The 29th International Festival of Fashion and Photography in Hyères is on April 25-28th 2014. For more information on Hyères check out the website here